SCRR’s Summer Institute 2022
Boundaries for Joy: Centering Renewal in a Time of Unrest
August 11, 2022
9:00 a.m. – 12:30 p.m. PT / 12:00 p.m. – 3:30 p.m. ET
This event has passed and registration is closed.
One of our project’s central tenets is to listen and learn from educators: What is most needed to recover from a school crisis? How might we create spaces for educators to experience their own processing so that they might feel more resourced and supported?
Join us on August 11th for our 2nd SCRR Summer Institute, where we gather to re-imagine wellness and explore ideas, structures and rituals that allow us to welcome the new school year more deeply attuned to our personal and collective needs.
This summer, we focus specifically on boundaries for joy: How might boundaries inform and form our joy? What are we upholding by our abilities and inabilities to honor our needs?
Note: this is less of a space to learn how to do for others and more of a space that centers how to be for yourselves.
Our Agenda (subject to change)
- Opening and framing
- Creating Our Joy Manifestos with Shirley Johnson
- Constructing Our Self & Collective Support Plans with Oriana Ides
- Integration and share out
- Create a safe, generative, and regulating experience for educators, school-based mental health providers, and people who tend to the emotional well-being of youth.
- Engage participants in evidence based, art centered, ritual activities that positively impact the process of recovery and renewal after a crisis.
- Provide an opportunity for educators and other school professionals to learn new ways in which they can utilize ritual to recover and renew to support their community after a big thing (crisis event).
- Support participants in imagining new ways to incorporate ritual and art into their personal practice in crisis recovery.
Resources for Our Learning
- SCRR Summer Institute 2022 Presentation [PDF]
- SCRR Summer Institute 2022 Workbook [PDF]
- My Body is a Vessel: Cultivating Joy and Wholeness playlist by Shirley Johnson created for the SCRR Winter Institute in 2021
Anyone who tends to the well-being of young people in school settings (school leaders, educators, community service providers, guidance counselors in higher education, social workers, etc.).
Frequently Asked Questions
- Is this program eligible for Continuing Education Hours (CEH)? Unfortunately, no.
- Will this offering be recorded? Yes! The recording will be accessible on this page in the “Resources for Our Learning” section by August 24th.
- Will closed captions be provided? Zoom generates automated captions and a transcript that participants can enable during the training.
- Who can I contact if I have additional questions? Email us at scrr [at] cars-rp.org with “SCRR Summer Institute” in the subject line.
Shirley Johnson (she/hers) LMFT, MA
Shirley is a licensed psychotherapist, energy healer, and yoga teacher based in Oakland, California. Passionate about self- care and connecting to intuition as a form of political resistance and spiritual practice, Shirley leads a number of workshops supporting people to trust their inner wisdom and align with their inner healer. Shirley brings 10 years of yoga teaching experience and certifications in Vinyasa, Prenatal, and Kundalini Yoga. She holds a Master’s in Psychology from California Institute of Integral Studies (CIIS) and works with individuals and couples in her private practice. She has been studying various energy healing technologies the last 15 years, and brings explorations of codependency recovery, depression, sexuality, and race into her work. She has taught in seven different yoga teacher trainings and enjoys interweaving psychology and yoga. She has taught in various settings and to different communities, including toddlers, teens, families, adults, and mature age folks. She truly believes if you have a body and can breathe, then this practice is for you! Shirley loves to support practitioners with developing a strong nervous system and a resiliency to be their authentic selves in this world. For more info, you can visit her website at: www.soulisticwellness.com
Oriana Ides (she/hers), MA, LPCCI, PPS
SCRR Field Coach at Center for Applied Research Solutions (CARS)
Oriana Ides is the School Mental Health Training Specialist at CARS, who approaches healing the wounds of trauma and oppression as core elements of social justice. She has worked with young people across life course from elementary school to college, and has served as teacher-leader, school counselor, classroom educator and program director. She is committed to generating equity within school structures and policies by focusing on evidence-based mental health techniques and institutional design. Her work to forge a more just world is motivated by and dedicated to Amilca Ysabel Mouton Fuentes.
Previous SCRR Institutes
Archived Materials from Our Past Institutes
- Summer 2021 Institute Materials: slide deck (PDF) (deck has the opening and closing slides only),recording (opening, keynote, group share out, and closing only), Keynote recording
- Winter 2021 Institute Materials: slide deck (PDF) (opening and closing only), recording (opening and closing), and the Educator Recovery and Renewal Resources Room
In the words of the participants from previous SCRR Winter and Summer Institutes
“A beautiful, loving, and healing day. Thank you!”
“What a wonderful day!”
“Thank you for all the care, love, intention, and sincerity to all who made this possible.”